Looking for a House of Card refresher? We’ve got you covered. Take a deep dive with us as we review the cast, the plot and all the drama taking place on and off the set.
The events of the political drama series, House of Cards, revolve around Frank Underwood (played by Kevin Spacey), his wife Claire (played by Robin Wright) and their quest for power in the White House. The series covers the events and characters that unfold around the Underwoods as they rise through Washington’s political ranks.
Frank Underwood (Kevin Spacey)
Frank Underwood is portrayed as a conniving, manipulative and corrupt sociopath. He destroys anyone who stands in his way, including friends, in order to gain power. He goes as far as committing murder twice for political gains and subverting justice. He finally schemes and maneuvers his way into the Oval Office and then faces numerous hurdles while in power.
Kevin Spacey has received countless positive reviews for playing Frank Underwood even though the character has been criticized for being repetitive. Spacey has earned an Emmy and Golden Globe Award for his performance in House of Cards. He has earned many other awards including five best Screen Actor Guild Awards and countless nominations.
Kevin Spacey (age 58) has had a very successful acting career until recently. He rose to fame after his performance in 1995 crime thriller “Usual Suspects”. He has been featured in 53 films and 17 television shows.
Unfortunately, Spacey’s personal problems have cut short his glory as a House of Cards star and renowned actor. On November 3rd, 2017, Netflix severed ties with Spacey and suspended House of Cards production after damaging allegations surfaced. Spacey has been accused of harassment by numerous men at different times in his career, putting the actor’s future in jeopardy. Sadly, it is coming to light that Spacey’s abusive childhood has had long-term after-effects. He is, however, seeking help according to a recent statement sent to E! News by his rep.
After the allegations emerged, director Ridley Scott replaced Kevin Spacey with Christopher Plummer in the upcoming movie ”All the Money in the World”, even though production had already been completed. The movie scenes featuring Spacey were reshot just a few weeks before the movie’s upcoming release date.
Claire H. Underwood (Robin Wright)
Claire Underwood is Frank Underwood’s wife. Claire shares many characteristics with her husband. She is ruthless, corrupt and immoral. She is also power-hungry. Claire goes to great lengths, including murder, to accomplish her goals.
She is introduced as a lobbyist and environmental conscious activist in season one. In subsequent seasons, she becomes the U.S. Ambassador to the UN before becoming Vice President and finally, President. Claire seems to be overwhelmingly supportive of her husband from the start. She condones his corrupt schemes and crimes. The audience can sense she wants the highest office as the plot unfolds in season 3. She stops at nothing to get there including seeking unmerited controversial public appointments to build her public service resume.
After Kevin Spacey’s recent controversy left him out of the House of Cards cast, Claire Underwood is expected to take the lead role in the season finale. She is now the President but faces serious challenges. Her past may come to haunt her in Season 6 has made many enemies on her way to the top. She also seems to have fallen out with her biggest ally, Frank who is facing jail time and plotting revenge. Since Frank won’t be there in Season 6, we may see his most loyal worker, Doug Stamper carrying out his ”dirty work”. Claire’s position as President may also be challenged by Jane Davis, a longtime rival who is more experienced and deserving.
Robin’s role in House of Cards has been critically celebrated. She has won a Golden Globe Award and received countless nominations. In addition to House of Cards, Robin Wright (51 years) has been featured in many films and TV shows (45 films/movies and 6 TV shows). She rose to fame back in the 1980’s while playing Kelly Capwell in the popular soap opera, Santa Barbara.
Doug Stamper (Michael Joseph Kelly)
Doug is Frank Underwood’s most loyal ”soldier”. He is a recovering alcoholic who owes his sobriety to Frank. He finds purpose working for Frank and doing his ”dirty jobs” which includes blackmail and killing. Doug is present in all the House of Cards seasons to date. He gets injured by Rachel Posner, a former prostitute hired by Peter Russo, before Russo’s death. Doug uses Rachel to frame Congressman Peter Russo. Rachel attacks Doug out of desperation. Doug controls every aspect of her life out of fear she might link him and Frank to Russo’s murder. After the attack, Doug suffers brain damage which hinders his ability to continue working for Frank. However, Doug is back in action in Season 3 where he manages to track down and kill Rachel.
Doug gets his old job back as White House Chief of Staff. He continues to serve Frank diligently to the extent of exposing as well as killing anyone who betrays him. He is even willing to donate his liver to Frank when he gets shot though he can’t because of his history as an alcoholic. Doug is quiet, calculative and cold. He is also loyal and somewhat sensitive to people he cares about. With Frank facing jail time, we can only guess what Doug will do next. Frank has already indicated he wants Claire dead. Will Doug do it for him in Season 6?
Actor Michael Joseph Kelly boasts of several nominations for his role in House of Cards the most notable being; a Prime Time Emmy Award nomination, Satellite Award nomination, and Screen Actors Guild Award nomination. Michel Kelly has been acting since 1994. He has played notable roles in 28 movies and more than 20 TV shows.
House Of Cards Full Cast list
1. Kevin Spacey (as Frank Underwood): House Majority Whip (season 1), Vice President (season 2), President (Season 3-5).
2. Robin Wright (as Claire Underwood): Frank Underwood’s wife. Also runs a Non-governmental Organization, Clean Water Initiative (season 1), Second Lady of the U.S. (season 2), U.S. ambassador to the U.N. (season 3), First lady (season 3 to 5), Acting President, Vice President and President (season 5).
3. Michael Kelly (as Douglas Stamper): Frank Underwood’s chief of staff, most loyal confidant and ”handyman”. Douglas Stamper aka ”Doug” is injured and temporarily replaced as Chief of Staff by Remy Danton before returning at the end of season 3.
4. Kate Mara (as Zoe Barnes): Washington Herald and Slugline newspaper reporter. Zoe acts as a Frank Underwood’s political informant before forming an intimate relationship with him. Zoe’s work is to leak stories that irk Frank’s political rivals. Frank kills Zoe in season 2 as she is in the process of linking him to Peter Russo’s death.
5. Corey Stoll (as Peter Russo): Democratic congressman from Pennsylvania. Recovering addict. Killed in season 1. There was a post-death appearance alongside Zoe Barnes in season 4 in Frank Underwood’s hallucinations.
6.Kristen Connolly (as Christina Gallagher): Congressional staffer, PA to President Walker, executive assistant to Russo, Russo’s lover. Gallagher appears in season 1 and 2.
7. Michael Gill (President Garrett Walker): 45th President. President Walker appears in Season 1, 2, 4 and 5.
8. Joanna Going (as Patricia Walker): President Walker’s wife, First Lady. Walker appearances in season 1 and 2.
9. Sakina Jaffrey (as Linda Vasquez): President Garrett Walker’s Chief of Staff (season 1).
10. Constance Zimmer (as Janine Skorsky): Reporter, The Washington Herald. Skorsky appears in seasons 1, 2 and 4.
11. Sebastian Arcelus (as Lucas Goodwin): Editor, The Washington Herald. Goodwin appears in season 1, 2 and 4. Zoe Barnes boyfriend.
12. Boris McGiver (as Tom Hammerschmidt): Editor-in-chief, The Washington Herald. Hammerschmidt appears in season 1, 2, 4 and 5.
13. Mozhan Marno (as Ayla Sayyad): Freelance investigative reporter. Wall Street Telegraph reporter assigned to the White House.
14. Mahershala Ali (as Remy): Lawyer (for Glendon Hill) and Lobbyist (for SanCorp, Natural Gas Company) in season one, Lobbyist for Raymond Tusk in season two. Frank Underwood’s Chief of Staff in season 3. Danton appears in season 1, 2, 3 and 4.
15. Nathan Darrow (as Edward Meechum): Frank Underwood’s bodyguard/driver, secret service agent. Meechum appears in season 1, 2, 3 and 4.
16. Rachel Brosnahan (as Rachel Posner): Prostitute in season 1. Reformed/fugitive in season 2, 3 and 4.
17. Molly Parker (as Jacqueline Sharp): Democratic congresswoman. Sharp succeeds Frank Underwood as Majority Whip. He is Remy’s lover and Presidential aspirant in season 3.
18. Gerald McRaney (as Raymond Tusk): Billionaire businessman. President Walker’s longtime ally/adviser. Tusk appears in season 1, 2, 4 and 5.
19. Jayne Atkinson (as Catherine Durant): Democratic Senator, Secretary of State. Durant appears in season 1 to 4.
20. Jimmi Simpson (as Gavin Orsay): Computer hacker, FBI informant secretly working with Dough. Orsay appears in season 2 and 3.
21. Elizabeth Marvel (as Heather Dunbar): Lawyer, Solicitor General in President Walker’s administration. Democratic Presidential aspirant. Dunbar appears in season 2, 3 and 4.
22. Paul Sparks (Thomas Yates): Successful author tasked by Frank Underwood to write a book on America Works Jobs program. Yates also acts as a speechwriter and Claire Underwood’s lover. Yates appears in season 3, 4 and 5.
23. Derek Cecil (as Seth Grayson): Political Operative. Frank Underwood’s press secretary. Seth appears in season 2, 3 and 4.
24. Joel Kinnaman (as Will Conway): Republican Presidential Nominee running against Frank Underwood. Conway appears in season 4 and 5.
25. Campbell Scott (as Mark Usher): Will Conway’s campaign manager. Serves as a special adviser in Underwood’s administration. Usher appears in season 5.
26. Dominique McElligott (as Hannah Conway): Will Conway’s wife. Conway appears in season 4.
27. Lars Mikkelsen (as Viktor Petrov): President of Russia. President Petrov appears in season 3 and 4.
28. Kim Dickens (as Kate Baldwin): Wall Street Telegraph Chief political reporter before replacing Sayyad. Baldwin appears in season 3 and 4.
29. Damian Young (as Aidan Macallan): NSA contractor, data scientist. Macallan appears in season 4 and 5.
30. Neve Campbell (as LeAnne Harvey): Claire Underwood’s political consultant, campaign manager. Harvey appears in season 4 and 5.
31. James Martinez (as Alex Romero): Democratic Congressman leading the House Intelligence committee investigation on Frank Underwood’s alleged abuse of power allegations.